List of accesskeys skip navigation

Clinical Specialties & Centres

Skip Navigation LinksHome > Clinical Specialties & Centres > Pathology > History

History

The Division of Pathology, SGH has its roots in the Pathological Department of the early 19th century when the Municipal Commissioners of Singapore set up a laboratory service in 1903. The Pathological Department, as it was known then, did much to improve public health in Singapore by investigating and detailing sources of infection and pollution. A more accurate picture of the state of health of its people emerged through painstaking autopsy work and documentation of subsequent investigations and results.

Now, over a hundred years later, in the 21st century, the Division has expanded from the solo pathologist practice of the early 1900s to a modern facility. However the spirit and mission of the Division – the quest for knowledge in disease continues unabated. We hope that by holding these courses, we will be able to share with you, our enthusiasm for learning and education, and that we will be able to journey together, in the growth of pathology in Asia and in the global community.

Last Modified Date :09 Jan 2017